Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to add a position to this job list.
Please note all job listings are posted at the discretion of WITESOL. We will not post jobs that appear to discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, national origin, disabled or Vietnam Era veteran status, sexual orientation, disability, or gender. We also reserve the right to refuse to post jobs that do not support the interests of our members.
WITESOL provides a referral service and makes no particular recommendations regarding employers. We make no representations or guarantees about positions posted on this site. We are not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of employment. Applicants are urged to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting offers of employment.
ESL Family Literacy Instructors – Literacy Network in Madison
Interested applicants can access position and application information on the Literacy Network website .
Position Title: ESL Family Literacy Instructor – Pool Position*
(part-time, evenings and/or Friday or Saturday mornings)
Position Summary: Literacy Network offers hands-on, authentic ESL classes to adults in Dane County. Classes are free and open to the public. We work to provide opportunities for our students to use English in meaningful ways, within a safe and supportive learning environment. Instruction is targeted to the interests and goals of the participating students and activities are tailored to a diverse and multilevel student group. Family Literacy courses include “English in the Schools” and “English for Parents.” Lessons are developed by the instructors in alignment with Literacy Network’s curricular recommendations, the required competencies of the program, and the goals of the students.
- Welcome students and offer a safe and supportive learning environment.
- Assess student goals through the use of class activities and journaling.
- Develop lesson plans using a competency-based approach, guided by the Family Literacy recommendations and taking into consideration the goals of participating students.
- Develop appropriate instructional strategies for use in a multilevel instructional setting. Facilitate activities, projects, and guest speakers that provide authentic and meaningful ways for students to practice their English skills.
- Implement effective retention strategies, including weekly phone calls to class participants.
- Track student achievements, successes, and feedback for reporting.
- Submit required paperwork, including attendance and monthly reports, accurately in a timely manner.
- Attend a mandatory orientation and other occasional meetings as necessary throughout the semester.
- Provide feedback and ask for support when needed.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in ESL, EFL, Applied Linguistics, Bilingual Education, reading instruction and/or related field.
- Experience planning and teaching multilevel adult ESL classes.
- Knowledge of current second language acquisition theory and teaching methodology.
- Experience performing assessments and evaluating student outcomes.
- Skill in working with adults of diverse cultural, social, economic, and linguistic backgrounds.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and flexibility.
- Professional communication skills.
- Spanish or Arabic language skills beneficial but not required.
- Reliable personal transportation
Literacy Network employees pride themselves on working hard together to improve lives through literacy in the Dane County community.
For more details and to apply please go the Literacy Network website .